How to Start a Charity

If you want to start a small charity, applying for tax exemption is easy. A new form, 1023-EZ is just over two pages. The “EZ” is for nonprofits with annual gross receipts of $50,000 or less and total assets of $250,000 or less. Applicants will be automatically approved normally within a few weeks. There is a $400 fee. Schools and credit counseling groups and similar organizations cannot use the EZ form.

(For-Profit or Nonprofit)

Want to form a for-profit or nonprofit corporation? Web-based businesses are available to assist with preparation and filing. Some also provide other corporate services, such as being the registered agent. Two such companies are: LegalZoom and Blumberg Excelsior Corporate Services, both of which have low fees (beginning at $99).

Contact LegalZoom at or by calling 866-738-1730
Contact Blumberg at or by calling 800-221-2972 x575